Sexsmith Fire Department
Proud and Professional 100% Volunteer
The Sexsmith Fire Department provides Fire, Medical and Rescue services to the Town of Sexsmith, 460 sq miles of the County of Grande Prairie and Mutual Aid response to regional friends and contract partners.
Members of the department spend thousands of hours annually practicing and preparing for events that arise in our protection area. During the past years the Sexsmith Fire Department has seen increasing calls for service bringing the department to new record call volumes each year.
Interested in becoming a member?
The Sexsmith Fire Department conducts information nights annually during the months of May and October. All members of the public are welcome. Anyone attending will be shown a power point presentation, be given an opportunity to have any questions or concerns answered, a tour of the hall and demonstration of various equipment. Participants will have the chance to wear all the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that they will be expected to wear on scene.
Participants will be then given a recruitment package that they will be expected to fill out and return completed within two weeks. Once the application has been reviewed hopefuls will be contacted and asked to participate with the department and start training as a Probationary Fire Fighter.
- Community Involvement
- Paid "Career” Training
- Being part of a Professional Team
- Personal Satisfaction & Accomplishments
- And much more
- Weekly every Tuesday night (18:45 – 21:15)
- One 6 hour Saturday every quarter (live runs and burns)
- Various training courses as offered
- 18 years of age
- Live within 5km of Hall
- Able to satisfactory pass a drivers record search
- Able to satisfactory pass a criminal record search
- Physically fit
Junior Cadet Program:
- In February of 2016, Council approved the implementation of the Junior Cadet program
- must be between 16 & 18 years of age
- must be eligible for or attending school at a minimum grade 8 level
- must be a minimum of 150 cm (4'11") tall
- must be physically fit to perform the required firefighting functions